Friday, June 17, 2011

First Friday: Harry Potter

In honor of the new JK Rowling teaser: Pottermore I am going to talk about Harry Potter. The first time I heard about Harry Potter was on Rosie O'Donnell (I loved that show. Remember Cutie Patootie, obsession with pre-crazy Tom Cruise and Barbie reenactments?). She raved about the series and frequently gave books away, but I never read them. As a family gift Christmas in 1999 my mom got the first three books together in a set because she had heard so many good things about them. They were starting to gain a lot of popularity but it was nothing like it is now. I brought the first one on our New Years Eve vacation and after the world did not end and our computers did not turn on us, I read it. I loved it, but was not crazy over it yet. However, then I read book two in 4 days (which is quick for a freshman in high school  reading a non school book) then book 3 in three days (after that is was always 2 days tops) and I was hooked. I became the Harry Potter lover that I am today after those three books and could not wait till the fourth.

Luckily I did not have to wait long. The fourth book came out that summer and I found myself party hopping at 11pm trying to win Harry Potter prizes and get the book at midnight. I had never done anything like that before and the fact that is was for a book not a movie, concert, or a new Apple product means a lot. I have since made appearances at many midnight releases (including the other 3 Harry Potter books) but Harry Potter 4 was the first. It was so much fun being in line with Cece and Co. in Meijer and getting my book at 12:10ish that night. Now it is not like I went home immediately to read it (although eventually that became the norm) but I just loved the series and I also love what Jimmy Fallon likes to call "shared experiences". I love really getting into things, it is just more fun going all out (insert rollerskating 80s party here) and now I am one of those people to wait in a ridiculously long line for 3 days or wears a costume to a movie (still working what to wear to Arrested Development opening, but it looks like I have a lot of time to figure that one out).  In a way you can blame Harry Potter for some of my crazy fandom.

2 comments:

  1. One of the Harry Potter books came out when I worked at the bookstore on campus. I remember having to put the delivery in a locked room and I was the only one allowed to touch them to check them in. Also done in a locked room. Talk about pressure! Good thing I didn't know you then, you surely would have talked me into using my powers to get you a book early! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice 80's rollerskating party reference. I wasn't there, but it is definitely one of my shared experiences because I've heard the story so many times - sometimes I believe I was actually there. Haha I can picture Wes now showing up in 80s gear at the after party. Sprite and Doritos my friend, Sprite and Doritos.

    ReplyDelete