Monday, September 12, 2011

Music Monday:

What a horrible Monday I am having. Tonight may be a Mary Poppins night...

Anyway, because of that I am trying to think of music I can play to cheer me up and make today go by faster...any ideas? Anyone else super excited that the summer of mediocre music releases is over and fall is here where about 50 CD come out a week? I am. (oh and the return of new tv shows...especially comedy....I could use some comedy right now. Parks and Rec anyone?)

So if you are in a Monday Funk here are some of my recommendations for you listening consideration:

If you want calm, commiserating, or melancholy:
  • Nick Drake- anything: He is so peaceful yet still a little fun so you are not going to sink deeper into depression.
  • Dan in Real Life Soundtrack: Very similar to the above description but a little more quirky and lively.
  • Garden State Soundtrack: Your in an off mood, this is the place to go if you want a CD to commiserate with you for a while. (You can include The Shins and even Broken Bells in the mix)
  • The Smiths- anything: They are just so good for these moods...they have a little of everything. "Please, Please, Please Let me Get What I Want" is my theme for the day.
  • Simon and Garfunkel- again...anything: duh.
If you want up-beat music to take your mind off things or pull you out of your funk:
  • Bird and the Bee covering Hall & Oats: Come on what is not fun about that?
  • Mathew Sweet and Susana Hoffs Cover CD: They do some great fun covers of songs from the 60's and 70's. I am really hoping that and 80's edition is in the works!
  • Hanson - Shout it Out: I know, Hanson? Get over it. This album is pure fun, loaded with horns and I love it.
  • Camera Obscura- Let's Get Out of this Country: it is the sound of prettiness. Ah...nice.
  • Paul Simon- Graceland: It is fun, happy and just great music.
  • ELO: Get your Xanadu on with the ELO greatest hits...although I would suggest this in a mix not straight through...
  • My Feeling Good playlist: I know you do not know what is on it, but I do and I like it a lot.
If you want a mix of the two:
  • Fleetwood Mac: Almost any of their CDs or hits collections will do, but my go to is of course Rumours.
  • Todd Rundgren- Greatest Hits: this is just a fun collection spanning his career and when "Bang the Drum All Day" comes on at work, you'll smile.
  • Rufus Wainwright- Want One: Beautiful, rich, passionate and at times epic.
  • She and Him- whatever Volume you want: They are awesome!! And already one of my favorite Christmas Albums this year!! (Did you see the promo pic? I LOVE IT! October 25th!! CANNOT WAIT!!)

These are just a few I am thinking of/listening to today. Any suggestions of others? I could use some more. Like any music to make you feel like not everything you do is wrong? Just wonderin.

**UPDATE**
Feeling Good Playlist Below...


 Feeling Good Playlist: Short and sweet right now (at least for one of my playlists), but looking to add to it so if you have any songs ideas let me know! (In no order- I shuffle this one)
  • Shake Some Action- Cracker
  • Lollipop- Mika
  • If I Ever Lose My Faith in You- Sting and Chris Botti live in Boston
  • Do Right- Jimmy's Chicken Shack (a perfect song for my Monday this week)
  • Dog Days are Over- Florence and the Machine
  • Let My Love Open the Door- Pete Townshend
  • No Rain- Blind Melon
  • Take Me with U- Prince
  • You Make Me Feel So Young -Frank Sinatra
  • FNT- Semisonic
  • Open Your Heart to Me- Madonna
  • Tenderness- General Public
  • Wouldn't it Be Nice- Beach Boys
  • Up Up Up- The Givers
  • Alright - Suppergrass
  • Kate- Ben Folds Five
  • Beautiful- The Go-Go's
  • Pop! Goes My Heart- Hugh Grant (Music & Lyrics)
  • In the Summertime- Mungo Jerry
  • Love Will Never Do Without You- Janet, Ms. Jackson if you Nasty
  • Smile -Vitamin C (yes it was overplayed but give it about 10 years and it will be welcome in this playlist)
  • Change- Lightning Seeds
  • Do You Love Me- Contours
  • Cecilia- Simon 
  • Paper Planes- M.I.A.
  • Care of Cell 44- The Zombies
  • 99 Luftballons- Nena (the happiest song ever about nuclear war)
  • 40 Day Dream- Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

2 comments:

  1. As always, love them all! My go-to's for those days are Patty Griffin (usually Children Running Through) or The Weepies. I hope your week gets better...this will make you laugh- there was mention about Ciara the other day and I busted out with "Ci-ARA!!" All I got was some blank stares. Come on, people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I cannot believe I forgot about Patty!! That is going on tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete