Monday, December 12, 2011

Music Monday: Classics

Like I have said many times before I LOVE CHRISTMAS MUSIC!!! So here are some of my favorite classic Christmas albums you should check out:

  • Bing Crosby- White Christmas (the one w/a white background and he has a santa hat on) This album features the awesome Andrews sisters singing with the crooner on my favorite version of "Jingle Bells" and the best version of "Mele Kalikimaka" there is. Then you have his version of "Santa Clause is Coming to Town" (which makes me sing "gather round" in the deepest voice I have when I hear any version of the song) and of course- White Christmas!! This is a must have for the holidays and you kind find it a million places for $6 or less.
  • Brenda Lee- Jingle Bell Rock This is one of my dad's favorite so I grew up listening to this one. (along with Johnny Mathis one where he is holding skis, Perry Como, Elvis, and the next one on this list) This includes the most recognized versions of "Jingle Bell Rock" and "Rockin Around the Christmas Tree," along with songs I have never heard covered like "The Angel and the Little Blue Bell" "Strawberry Snow" and "Christmas will Be Just Another Lonely Day." (you should see my moves to that last one!) Brenda Lee's voice is great and the song choice is unlike any other- definitely check this one out.
  • The Letterman- For Christmas This Year. Wow, what an great Christmas record! These guys can harmonize and sing so peacefully...it is beautiful. Their arrangements and songs are starting to pop up on newer Christmas albums a lot more (like "Christmas Waltz") but the originals are still the best. You know this album is good too when they have not released it on CD since the 80's and it sells used for over $400! Yes, they have other Christmas albums, but this one is by far the best...thank goodness my dad held on to his and I finally found a computer that could read it to copy. However- if you are in a hankering for some sweet sounds of Christmas but don't have the $400, you are in luck- it is now available for download!!
  • Amy Grant- A Christmas Album. This is the most recent of my "classic" albums, released in 1983, but it is a staple of my holiday season every year. When I left for college this is the first Christmas CD I bought to start my own collection and this is also usually the one that tempts me and I end up listening to WAY before November. It is just so nice, and awesome, and fun, and awesome. The songs all go so well together (I actually used to think they were all the same song in the middle) and it is perfect for a nice Christmas nap, or to lull you to sleep as you dream of snow.
There are a few records to check out this holiday season and I hope they enhance yourenjoyment of this Christmas season!! If not maybe this will:

I used to perform this "with" my brother all the time, he hated it. He would
complain that he "did not wear dresses" and that he "was not a girl" but I think he 
was just being a joykill. This is also the only time I was allowed to hit him- my parents would just laugh.


A few more ideas of some great classics:
  • Johnny Mathis- Merry Christmas (the one with the skis!!)
  • Herb Alpert- Christmas Album (Recently remastered- what! what!)
  • Time-Life Treasury of Christmas (original circa 1986, to make sure check for The Night Before Christmas)
  • Vince Guaraldi Trio- A Charlie Brown Christmas (again check the cover- it is the one with a tree with Snoopy on top. Recently remastered-get excited!!)
  • Dean Martin- Seasons Greetings (he was in the Rat Pack for a reason)

I could not help myself. Note: White Christmas soundtrack not availible- and never was, and 
never will be- unless you are a tech savvy do-it-yourselfer! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment