Monday, December 19, 2011

Music Monday: New Christmas Classics

Last week I mentioned a few of my favorite classic Christmas albums. Today here are some of the "New Classics" you should check out!

  • Harry Connick Jr.- When My Heart Finds Christmas. This it Harry's first Christmas album from 1993- and it is one of my most played albums each year. Ah, I love his voice. On this album he has some great original songs, unique arrangements and an upbeat band. If you like fun crooner-esque Christmas music this is the album for you. (and once you fall in love with it go and pick up his other two Christmas albums!) 
  • Chicago- 25. I went to see a Doobie Brothers/Chicago concert with my family a few summers ago. Dobbie Brothers were awesome...but I was highly disappointing with Chicago. I realized why on the way home- I am not a huge fan of their normal music. But I do LOVE their Christmas album!! (Which in July they played NONE of...booo) This album is filled with horn filled re-imaginations of Christmas classics. Even if you are not a huge fan of the smooth rock stylings of "Just You 'n' Me" or "You're the Inspiration" but like Christmas music- don't worry, this is for you too.
  • Ready for a shocker... Clint Black- Looking for Christmas. What!?!? I know. My dad picked this one up and I thought is was going to be like the Allen Jackson one- banned to his car because we all refuse to listen to it. However, surprisingly we all loved this one. The whole CD is original songs about what to get your spouse for Christmas, how Christmas goes by so fast, and how a little boy keeps getting Santa to come back. Be warned: it is still country, but somehow this really country CD has found its way to our family's regular rotation during the holidays. 
  • Kirk Franklin and the Family-Christmas. Just in case you forget the reason behind the season, Kirk and his amazingly talented choir are here to remind you. They make every song their own. It has the slow ballads that can bring tears to your eyes along with the upbeat songs that in true gospel fashion just don't end. I am not going to say this is for everyone (my best friend hates it) but it is for anyone with any musical taste or true appreciation for art ;)
  • Finally, of course, you know its all coming...it became a classic the year it came out...and now people are covering it like the world is going to end next year...Mariah Carey- Merry Christmas. It is a great CD. Even though I have heard 50 new versions of her original song "All I want for Christmas is You" this year alone, hers never gets old. (along with this one, which is the first time I can remember anyone attempting it) Oh, did I mention her liberal use of choirs, ah I love that. If you do not own this, just let me know I have extra. I think I have bought this one about 6 times.
Some ones I thing are on their way to becoming classics are Straight No Chaser, Christina Aguilera, and Sarah Mclachlan. Next year this list will include Michael Buble and She & Him...my friends and all my parent's friends are loving these two, they will be around and on regular rotation for years to come.

Last but not least I wanted to sing the praises of the Christmas CD(s) I have been listening to most this year. You might not hear these on the radio (ever) or convince your family to adopt them into their 100 disc player devoted solely to Christmas music, but I LOVE 'em and have been listening to these almost exclusively this year!! That would be Sufian Stevens- Songs For Christmas. This box set that originally started as a project to help him get into the spirit and as a gift for his friends and family for the holidays, are 5 eps of amazing Christmas tunes. I really believe that these have something for everybody if you give them a chance. I love the beautiful arrangements with a multitude of instruments but also the simple piano ones just as much. His voice is so peaceful and his originals at times hilarious but always fun and inventive. If you do not already own these you are in luck because the price has dropped from "box set price" to that of a single album with its increase of availability and popularity.

Here is a sample, I hope you enjoy it! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!


    No comments:

    Post a Comment