Monday, May 14, 2012

Music Monday: fun.

When the fun. CD came out a few years a go I was about to buy it on the band name alone because I thought it would be a CD of fun music. As I thought about it more (and saw some of the people buying it) I thought the bands name might be a more ironic or sarcastic title, especially with that period on the end. I know, I over think things sometimes, especially when I am given ample time and opportunity to do so. I am here today to say that I wish I would have bought that CD, because fun. is a fun band. Ever since we almost saw fun. live I have been listening to their latest album even more than before the festival. I also have recently bought their first one Aim, Ignite and cannot wait to travel tonight while listening to it.

I know that some are loving their mega hit "We Are Young" and some are not big fans (and if you listen to top 40 radio you have to be getting tired of it by now) but the rest of the album I would say is better than this catchy single. The best song has to be the title track on their new album Some Nights. It is upbeat, you can sing along and dance around- great stuff. The 30 sec clip of this song is what made me buy their new CD, and both Cece and I were excited that we at least got to see this song live. In honor of that take a listen to a live version I found, although it was better when we saw it ;)



The whole CD is full of unique tracks that are great for dance parties in your room are a road trip car party. The founder and lead singer, Nate Ruess, has got a great voice behind him and some songwriting skills. My former coworker at Finders was a big fan of his old band The Format and would play one of their CDs all the time when we worked together. I remember liking it but now that I know it was his old band I may need to try and track down a copy. Some of my other song faves include: "One Foot," and "Carry On." I have a feeling they are going to keep getting better and bigger and I am excited for more!


New Releases to Check Out:
  • Best Coast - The Only Place (I highly recommend it- great summer album just like the last one!)
  • Beach House - Bloom
  • Jacob Jeffries Band - Tell Me Secrets
  • Ryan Shaw - Real Love
  • Santana - Shape Shifter
  • Newsies Original Broadway Cast (there has been some confusion on release date but it is awesome!)
  • Already came out but still awesome: Rufus Wainwright - Out of the Game
On the Horizon:
  • Paul McCartney - Ram remastered special edition
  • Regina Spektor - What We Saw From The Cheap Seats
  • Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros - Here
  • Yellow Submarine being re-released on DVD (we got so many requests for this at Finders)
  • and of course...KIMBRA - VOWS!!! NEXT TUESDAY!! Check out the cool ally dancing below:

1 comment:

  1. I really like the song "Stars" on the fun. album. I like his use of autotune, and it's fun to try to sing along to the autotuned parts.

    ReplyDelete