Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Negative Excellence

I'm baaaack! Just kidding, probably not, there is No Time! Never any Time! :)

I said in my last entry that I thought this would be very different than undergrad...I was spot on. So much work!! After a trip home for some youth events a few weeks ago I am officially 1 week behind (by the end of today it will be a little more) in my reading. So, I have a lot of time to make up! (You may wonder then- "So why are you writing this?" Well, because I am in class and after a 16 hour day that started early this morning I need something to keep me awake)

One thing I am learning about here through a very awesome and unique opportunity I have, is negative excellence. Originally it is from a book called Margin but I learned about it from a person who is a pretty big deal on campus. We so often hear that it is about a balanced life, I have heard about that here a few times already, but he suggests that is is really about setting expectations for yourself and practicing negative excellence. So you prayerfully observe what are the "boulders" in your life that God want you to  focus on right now and then you make adjustments elsewhere, say no to things, and become ok with what others may think when you do. I got to talk to him over lunch this week since I was a little confused of how this played out practically in a few areas, and it was such a great time that met some of my unspoken needs in this time of discernment. What a blessing!

Here are a few other hints of things that have been happening:

  • I have a "whole sister" here (that is what she calls me) that frequently quotes famous black philosophers and it is amazing. She is so much fun and a great person, so glad we are friends!
  • I have the same schedule of a few other people and the sense of community that is forming is pretty awesome. We can study together, look out for each other, and inform each other- it is turning out to be something I will miss when classes change.
  • Most Productive Mondays are really taking off! After a very busy weekend away for me and my roomie we decided to start Most Productive Mondays where we wake up early, work all day, leave no one behind, and (probably most importantly) we will run The Water Feature all day! It is catching on and a few more have joined us (to the point where we are going furniture shopping this weekend). Most Productive Mondays!!! Jingle forthcoming...
  • My roommates are becoming some of my favorite people! Oh, so much fun...
  • Alysa, one of my new amazing friends, is hilarious and so sweet and I am loving getting to know her as well....while studying ;)
  • International worship is amazing and I am on a personal quest, supported by many others, to see that it happens more often! Sternly worded surveys have already been filled out and a letter is on the way!
  • The food here has really gone downhill since week one. I need to find some new things to do for lunch here.
  • NYC a little over a week! Hopefully things will be going well after Sandy, maybe we can do something to help when we are there?
  • Did anyone see Parks and Rec? Ah, I love Ben and Leslie!

1 comment:

  1. Excited that you are enjoying your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete