Monday, September 19, 2011

Music Monday: Best Coast

So I may be a little late to the Best Coast party, but I am here now so get excited!

I first learned about them right before their album was released because as I had said before- I used to work and the most amazing record store ever. (that is right Media Play, take that) However before I heard their music or knew anything about them I did not like them. Someone that irks me the wrong way highly recommended them to me so I was done with them before anything ever started. You know how that goes right? At least it is a common occurrence for me..judging things based on my feelings toward something else? Like I never have seen Armageddon because I liked Deep Impact so much? (I tend to be a very loyal fan and defend things even when they are not being attacked) Or being an *Nsync hater because they copied Backstreet Boys? (I later redacted that statement once No Strings Attached came out)

Anyway, months ago I came across "Boyfriend" online somewhere and became a little obsessed. It was catchy and fun. (and we all know my affinity for female vocalists) I played the heck out of it but still maintained they had to be crap other than this song. Then a few of the stars I love came together and again I had to eat my words. Drew Barrymore directed a video starring one of my top 5 favorite young actors Chloe Moretz (aka Hit Girl) to the Best Coast song "Our Deal" and once again I was obsessed. I watched it daily waiting for the extended version that had more of their music in it. After a few weeks of this I decided that it was time to swollow my pride, admit that my judgement was wrong and go to Finders and buy the album. It was worth it.

Overall best coast is a great album.They have a little bit of the Ramones attitude of the hit and run songs with most of their songs averaging about 2 min long. My new favorite song is "Crazy for You" and I sing it in my car all the time. The CD has not even made it to my computer yet because it is always on in the car...maybe I should do that tonight because then I could listen to it at work?? Anyway... Best Coast. Great album. Go buy it. (Even if someone with a snooty attitude likes it too)


Tomorrow's New Releases: (and there are so many! Who is excited that the lackluster summer of music is over and fall is here with the colder temps and about 100 new releases a week! ME! ME!)
  • NeedtoBreathe- The Reckoning: I am a fan of this band since I saw them live in Chicago about 2 albums ago. This new one is sounding great and I cannot wait to go get it!
  • E Family- Now & Forever: the incredibly talented Escovedos (which includes Shelia E.) have joined together to form a family super band. I am excited to hear how this one turns out with guests like Raphael Saadiq, E. W. & F., Israel Houston and Joss Stone.
  • Tony Bennett- Duets II: This may be a pretty popular release from the guy who "loves things that are great!" Includes duets with Norah Jones, Aretha Franklin, Buble, Groban and Amy Winehouse. 
  • The list goes on...Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Demi Lovato, Gavin Degraw, Tori Amos, Jens Lekman (don't get TOO excited it is only an EP), Pearl Jam, ANR, Blessed Feathers, Rachel Taylor Brown, and the list keeps going...and going...and  going... YAY for fall!!


 Today is Talk Like a Pirate Day and so below is a video from one of my favorite modern kids shows. (It is all about imagining things in our backyard and every episode has a different music and dance style!) Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. um pretty sure you saw Needtobreathe in Indy 2 albumbs ago, not Chicago. remember we went out to eat with them and everything...

    ReplyDelete