Monday, March 26, 2012

Music Monday: 2 points for NPR!

I took my work iPod home last weekend to update it because it tragically did not have both Florence + the Machine albums on it for some reason. (Background: this is my music only iPod that now does not even hold all my music so I have to start figuring out new ways to get music on there. I started with putting all my playlists on but that does not give me full albums so I now have to check individual artists and albums...a long process. Ugh.) Well this morning I forgot to grab it to bring back so I am without it today. Not a huge deal, I have the internet. So I first go to AOL and Spinners listening party where you can hear full albums before they are released...dud. Not only was there nothing that particularly caught my attention (besides the new Civil Twilight which did sounded pretty good) but I find that Macy Grey has a cover album...and each song I started listening to was worse than the 5 sec I listened to before it. The cover of "Maps" by Yeah Yeah Yeahs should be outlawed.

NPR TO THE RESCUE!!! NPR First Listen saved my morning...and afternoon...and tomorrow morning as they are streaming the new M. Ward (collective sigh) and Of Monsters and Men. They are both great. After my great love of Hold Time, M. Ward had a lot to live up to with his new album in in my opinion - but it sounds like the summer of 2012 to me...because I will be playing it all summer starting now...with breaks for Kimbra of course. Oh, did I mention that Zooey makes an appearance? She does and it is wonderful. I feel like it may already have a spot on my top albums of the year after only one listen. (The Shins Port of Morrow and Kimbra Vows already have spots on lock-down as well.)

Next- My Head is Animal by Of Monsters and Men. If you like "Little Talks" and have been waiting for a U.S. release of their debut album like I have, you will not be disappointed. This album falls under one of my favorite indie categories that I made up: Lots of instruments, Lots of voices. (Another example would be Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros) They have songs that range from fast to slow, powerful to intimate. I am loving it.

M. Ward's A Wasteland Companion will be released April 10th (another RSD purchase for me!) and Of Monsters and Men's debut My Head is Animal will be out April 3rd. Pick em up, listen to them, love them.

I will leave you with Kimbra...just kidding. I will give you a small Kimbra break and leave you with some M.Ward and Zooey goodness, enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmm Ward. I listened on NPR today. Thanks for the link. Even though no preview is necessary for me to buy the album! I'm sold already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it is not like I wasn't going to buy :)

      Delete
  2. I love the genre lots of instruments, lots of voices.

    ReplyDelete