Monday, March 19, 2012

Music Monday: Lots of Random Music Updates

So there is not one thing I am loving right now, but many and here they are:

1. The Shins- Port of Morrow (which you can stream on iTunes till tomorrow or Spinner till probably the end of the week) It sounds great and comes out tomorrow!! I am a huge Shins fan and a confession, may have preordered this CD in February before the spending fast...cheating I know. After the spending fast I will be buying it on LP at Finders. (Lets be honest, after the spending fast I will be spending all day a Finders...oh maybe I will make it Record Store Day!)

2. The Voice: This is the Voice! (I sing that as I fast-forward through commercials..it is in no way annoying my brother.) I was a fan of the voice last summer because of the coaches, blind auditions, how quickly it moved along, and how they really supported the artists and help them develop their unique style not just assigning them to sing country one week and 80's songs the next. When they announced that it would be back in the spring I thought that I would not watch it because there are so many other things on to watch and I do not want to spend every night in front of the TV. However...after the Superbowl I watched the first episode with my brother, saw this, and set the DVR to record the series. Oh, and I started a Voice fantasy league. (My team is AWESOME!)

3. Kimbra! I know, your are probably thinking "What you like Kimbra? No way." Yes. I LOVE KIMBRA! She is amahzing! Her U.S. album comes out May 22nd and here is one of the new songs that will be on it preformed live at SXSW:


4. SiriusXM - I have been loving SiriusXM a lot lately. Not just for all music no commercials, stations I am interested in, and Live On Broadway with Seth Rudetsky but lately they have been playing a ton of live stuff (like the Shins set at SXSW). Also I love seeing an artist that I knew was going to catch on go from one station to the next. Like Goyte started popping up on  my indie/alternative stations sporadically, then it was on the countdowns, then it moved to Spectrum, then it is on the top40 station and I can say "I told you so-you should hire me for stuff like this!" I will be really sad when my trial expires.

5. New iPad Garage Band App- now I do not own this but I watched the presentation they did, played with it at the Apple store this weekend and when I get an iPad it will be one of the few apps I buy.

6. Nick Drake- Now Nick Drake is not new, he is actually from the 70's but his music is amazing. I first heard his song "Pink Moon" in a car commercial over 10 years ago and with a second song I love on the Garden State Soundtrack I bought two of his CDs. Over the years he has become my go to artist to fall asleep to, read to, listen to when I want to relax or when I am sick (like all last week). He has a third CD and I will be buying it on Record Store Day because I think my other songs are starting to get jealous of the outrageous play count of Bryter Layter, and Pink Moon.

7. Kimbra! I am so dissapointed that I did not go to SXSW this year now because not only was Kimbra there, but she performed like a zillion times. Like a whole set by herself:


and many more shows with a full band and a tambourine which she performs with such dedication that she ends up like this by the end of the week. So to end this post enjoy one of her million SXSW sets:

No comments:

Post a Comment