Monday, April 02, 2012

Music Monday: Alabama Shakes

I have been hearing hype about Alabama Shakes for at least 6 months now- but after the hype over Lana Del Rey, I was weary. As I kept hearing the last 5 seconds of their first song "Hold On" the negative attitude continued as I did not see what the big deal was. I heard it a few times, then a couple more, then today I listened to the whole CD on NPR. (Once again with an awesome line up of First Listen albums) I have to say- I am loving it. People kept saying they sound like a fresh take on old soul music- more Stax than Motown.Why didn't any of this win me over immediately before even hearing a note?? I blame Lana. (Ugh, video games...) Well I just want to announce I have come to my senses and when the album Boys and Girls comes out on April 10th (same day as the delicious M. Ward) it will most likely find its way into my Record Store Day shopping spree. I leave you with a few bits from this new soul band:


2 comments:

  1. Yep, there's been lots of buzz around them on the industry side too! I think they're gonna be an instant sell with in-store play! It's on the April listening station too. Thank GOD Lana is over. 5 minutes was too long :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this CD Weds. night and it probably won't be coming out of my car stereo for awhile. In love. Didn't realize the band looks like teenagers and obviously don't have a "band stylist" yet.

    ReplyDelete